English Language and Literature for the IB Diploma
Author: Brad Philpot
The English Language and Literature for the IB Diploma coursebook is a comprehensive and accessible guide for Standard and Higher Level students of the new Language A Language and Literature syllabus for the IB Diploma (from 2011).
Written by an experienced, practising IB English teacher, English Language and Literature for the IB Diploma covers key concepts in language and literature studies in a lively and engaging way suited to IB students aged 16-19 years. This well structured coursebook includes: key concepts in studying language and literature; text extracts from World literature (in English and in translation); international media and language sources; a wide variety of activities to build skills; materials for exam preparation; guidance on assessment; Theory of Knowledge links; and Extended essay opportunities.
- Structured activities to build study skills in both language and literature
- Annotated and deconstructed texts, highlighting media and author techniques
- Information and guidance on assessment, explaining the syllabus in practice
- Materials for exam preparation, covering each assessment type
- Sample student work, providing examples for reference and criticism
- Definitions of key terms in the margin for easy reference, as well as a fully glossary
- Discussion points to explore ideas further in groups or as a class
- Tips on study skills, exam techniques and important things to note
- Further resources boxes with web links and ideas for further reading and research
- Higher Level Extension boxes giving ideas for HL activities
- Theory of Knowledge boxes with question ideas to stimulate thought
- Extended Essay ideas to explore for Language and Literature.